Followers

The Imperial City of Hue




We arrived in Hue, the former Vietnamese capital, at 8:30am and had to get a bus to the next place at 2pm. So I decided to leave the boys and hop on the back of a motorbike for a really quick tour of the city with what turned out to be the coolest guide ever. He was called Thuan and had a little booklet of testimonials from all the people who he had ever given tours to and they all said really complimentary things so I decided to trust him. He turned out to be such a fun, happy and honest man. We rode along and he taught me about (his version of) the Vietnam war, and he made funny jokes and he sang war songs to me in Vietnamese and I sang Amazing Grace to him and also some Christina Aguilera but he didnt really like that..

We rode along the Perfume River, visited the Thien Mu Pagoda which is famous for being the spot where one of its monks burned himself to death in 1963 in protest at the presidents repressive regime; we visited some buddhist retreat in the mountains just in time for their afternoon prayer ritual; some village where you can watch the women make cinammon incense; an American bunker which he helped me climb so I got some really nice shots overlooking the perfume river; the seven palatial Royal Mausoleums, the Citadel and the Flag Tower.

0 comments:

Post a Comment