Followers

Ko Phi Phi

I left the girls to do their diving course on Ko Tao and went to Ko Phi Phi by myself. I had to take a 10 hour night boat from Ko Tao to Surat Thani then a 3 hour bus to Krabi and then another 4 hour boat to PP, the famous place where The Beach was filmed and also the place where the tsunami happened a few years ago. The night boat we took was just a cargo boat that had cleared a large space and placed about 100 tiiny dirrty mattresses [about half the size of a single bed] and thats where you had to stay for the whole trip. I met two nice english girls and two guys from manchester who I stayed with all night which made the sickly rocking of the boat that little bit more bearable and we swapped books in true traveller fashion and chatted until lights out when everyone had to try and get to sleep even though waves were crashing against the windows and water kept dripping on us and people were snoring loudly. It was a nightmare. And the mattress I was on had bedbugs.

I only planned on staying on PP for 2 days but ended up staying 4 nights because I met up with these 2 guys that I'd volunteered with in Rio, Sam and Kelven. That was fucking awesome and surreal seeing them again because we all bonded so much and became so tight when we were in Rio living together but then because we were from all over the world I genuinely thought I'd never see them again ever. So that was amazing that we managed to be in the same part of the world like 2/3 months after we'd all left Rio! And the guys were awesome as well, so so funny - when I went to find them at their resort at like 11am, they were still drunk from the night before, and they stayed drinking the rest of the day and the rest of the time on the island in fact! So every night I'd go out with them, and I saw my first ever Thai boxing match and also my first ever wet t-shirt contest.. and we'd meet cool travellers at the main bars and clubs but then after a bit I'd end up losing them because they'd get too drunk and wander off doing something stupid but hilarious like jumping in fire or whatever - and I ended up having the best time by myself, I met the coolest people and generally had the most incredible time, and realised that I actually prefer travelling by myself so much more because I meet more and better people and just felt so free to do and act exactly how I pleased.

'The Beach' is called Maya Bay and is a boat ride away from the main island of Ko Phi Phi and you can take tours there during the day or you can camp overnight on The actual Beach which is what the guys wanted to do but it was way expensive so I just did a snorkel tour on one of the days and everyone in my group was a bit older/ foreign/ a couple so I mainly hung out with this quiet Japanese photographer guy. We were taken to 'shark point' which is the best spot for snorkelling because the waters were so clear and sometimes you can see sharks, 'monkey island' which is exactly what the title suggests, then the 'viking caves' which is a beautiful clear green lagoon for swimming in, and then to get to Maya Bay you have to swim across to this rope ladder which is on a cliff face and there are waves that constantly crash into you and make you crash into sharp rocks. But once you climb up the rope, you walk through a little jungle path and come out onto The Beach which is literally stunning, genuinely the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. The sand is so fine, it feels like flour and the water is a clear bright turqouise blue colour - its not that fun to swim in though because there are massive boulders in the water and the waves are really strong. Was so shit I couldn't get a picture of it though because of the swimming you had to do to get there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment